Bannerman’s Castle

Bannerman’s Castle is located in the Hudson River on Pollepel Island off the coast of the state of New York, United States. The island is 6.5 acres and features the abandoned Bannerman’s Castle, which served as a military surplus warehouse. The island was purchased by Francis Bannerman VI, who immigrated to the United States from Ireland with his parents in 1854. The family began a military surplus business and the island was purchased in 1900 to use as a storage facility for weapons and  30 million munitions cartridges. It was Bannerman who designed the buildings and the turreted castle. Aside from the majority of buildings being used for storage, Bannerman had a castle built on a smaller scale near the main structure to serve as a residence. The visible castle also served as a giant advertisement for his business. Construction was stopped when Bannerman died in 1918, and a series of disasters took place. In 1920, 200 pounds of shells and powder exploded, destroying part of the complex. New laws prevented the company from selling to civilians, which led to a decline in the business, and the ferryboat that served the island sank during a storm in 1950, in turn the complex was abandoned. In 1967, the island and buildings were purchased by the state of New York without the military merchandise, and tours of the island began. Unfortunately, in 1969 a fire devastated the Arsenal and the island was made off-limits to the public. Currently, the structure is a ruin as the island has been vandalized and neglected. There’s also remnants of the breakwater system near the island. Bannerman’s Castle has tours available to the public. #BannermansCastle #Castles #PolleopelIsland #UnitedStates #NewYork #Arsenal