The Castle of Roquefixade is attested in 1034. The first known lords were the lords of Pailhès, and all bore the name of Bernard Amiel de Pailhès. During the crusade against the Cathars, they fought alongside the counts of Toulouse and Foix as their vassals.
In 1278, after the crusade, the castle was purchased by the King of France who remodelled it to maintain a garrison including a castellan, a watchman, a porter, and twelve sergeants. In 1463, Louis XI restored the castle to Gaston IV, Count of Foix. In 1632, Louis XIII ordered the slighting of the castles of Montaut, Tarascon, Labastide de Sérou and Roquefixade. In 1675, the chatellenie was sold to Vital Guilhon de Lestang, Baron de Celles, whose family kept it until the Revolution when it was sold as national property.