The real Montsegur – castle, pog and village – lies in the foothills of the Pyrenees, not far from Lavelanet. Montsegur II was a Cathar refuge besieged for ten months by three Catholic armies from May 1243, one army commanded by the Seneschal of Carcassonne, one by a bishop, and one by an archbishop.
When the castle fell in March 1244, some 225 Cathar prisoners were burned alive, without trial. A Garrison of around 200 had defended them against the Catholic Crusader armies of 5,000 – 10,000 before they surrendered. A monument on the site reads: