Lancellotti Castle is located in Lauro, Italy. The castle was built in 976 A.D. in the homonym valley by the Lombard dukes. Due to the turbulent history surrounding Lancellotti Castle, the castle switched ownership many times throughout its history. In 1277, the castle was owned by Margherita de Toucy, followed by the ownership of the Principality of Salermo during the Langobardic period, the Counts of Saverino rebuilt the castle during the Norman period, and then the Pignatelli family took ownership. In 1632, the castle was purchased by the Lancellotti family, the current owners of the castle. The castle suffered through fire in 1799, which was caused by the French. The castle was rebuilt in 1872 and inaugurated by Prince Don Filippo Massimo Lancellotti. Lancellotti Castle is situated upon a hill in a 19thcentury style garden with an inner courtyard featuring a fountain and Roman architectural elements. There is a second courtyard that leads to the family chapel. The castle is made from a hodgepodge of architecture styles including Gothic, Neoclassical, Baroque, and Renaissance. The castle has square towers, crenellated walls, a secret garden, a family chapel, a music room, a weapons room, a library, and a pharmacy. Lancellotti Castle is open to the public. #ProvinceOfAvelino #Italy #Castles #Lauro #LancellottiCastle
Castello Di Rivalta is located in Rivalta in the Province of Piacenza, Italy. The Village of Rivalta is a fortified complex. The fortified castle overlooks the banks of the river Trebbia. The castle is first mentioned in a purchase in 1025 A.D. In 1048, Emperor Henry II donated the castle to the monastery of San Savino di Piacenza. Throughout the centuries the castle was at the center of many battles, sieges, and treason. The castle switched hands numerous times throughout its history, but in the 14thcentury the land was ceded to the Obizzo Landi family. The Landi family reconstructed the castle into the residence it is today. The decedents of the 14thcentury feudal family still live in the castle. The castle is designed in a quadrangular that houses more than 50 rooms. The internal arcaded courtyard is decorated with marble columns, there’s also a cylindrical tower, a dungeon, a music room, a gallery, a billiards room, and a weapons room. In the 18thcentury more trees were planted to surround the castle’s English style gardens, the façade and some of the rooms were renovated at this time. The Castle serves as a Museum of Military Costume and has a Spa and Wellness center. Castello Di Rivalta is open to the public from February to November.
Sammezzano Castle is located in Leccio in the Province of Florence, Italy. It is one of the largest examples of Moorish Revival architecture in Italy. Built around 1605 by Spanish nobleman Ximenes of Aragon, the castle sits upon a hill surrounded by 450 acres of parkland. In the 19thcentury, Ferdinand Panciatichi Ximenes inherited the castle, enlarging and remodeling the structure between 1853 and 1889. King Umberto I visited the castle in 1878. During WWII, German soldiers looted the area, removing Moorish fountains and statues, including an entire bridge and a grotto with a statue of Venus. After WWII, the castle served as a luxury hotel, but was closed and left vacant in 1990. The castle was purchased at auction in 1999, but still remained unoccupied as the company had economical problems. In 2013, a non-profit committee was organized to restore the palazzo. In 2014, the castle was sold to a developer of hotels, but the castle was back on auction by 2016. The non-profit continued to protect the castle in the hopes that the castle will one day be restored. In 2017, the castle was sold to Helitrope Limited Company out of Dubai for 18.1 million dollars. The castle has 365 rooms, one for every day of the year. The entire palatial villa is beautifully tiled and each room in unique. Sammezzano Castle is not open to the public. Picture Credit: Dan Raven, Darme, Martino Zegwaard
Carberry Tower Mansion House is located in East Lothian, Scotland. The property is mentioned in the 11thcentury when King David I of Scotland granted the land to the monks of Dunfermline Abbey. A square tower house was built on the site by the Johnstone family and eventually leased by the abbot to the King’s Advocate, Hugh Rigg in 1541. In 1567, Mary, Queen of Scots faced an army that was assembled of her confederation lords. She surrendered and was imprisoned. There is a monument on the property commemorating the event. After the Scottish Reformation, the lands and tower were annexed by the Crown. The property exchanged hands numerous times throughout its history. In 1760, John Fullerton moved into Carberry Tower and construction began to enlarge the tower. The estate continued to be altered and enlarged by the Elphinstone family who took over ownership in 1801. William Elphinstone completely redesigned the estate in 1861, which included an arboretum. William’s son Sydney, 16thLord Elphinstone married the sister of Queen Elizabeth. The queen visited Carberry Tower Mansion often in her youth. The widowed Lady Mary bequeathed the tower house to the Church of Scotland. The church used the tower for conferences and built an annex and chapel on the property, although some of the estate was sold off in parcels. In 2004, the tower was sold and underwent major refurbishment, and by 2011 it was purchased again. After millions of dollars were spent on improvements, Carberry Tower Mansion House became a luxury hotel and a wedding and event venue. The mansion sits down a tree-lined drive on 35 acres of parkland and has 30 en-suite bedrooms. Carberry Tower Mansion boasts a vaulted barrel-ceiling taproom, a library lounge filled with the sounds of jazz music, a music room with a 17thcentury fireplace, and a drawing room to enjoy your afternoon tea. The hotel also has a bistro and offers private dining. Outdoor activities include archery, falconry, laser clays, and nature walks.